Tuesday, March 31, 2009

UM UIM is a fancy term for..if you dont got it..you dont like yourself

There is a lot of fun jargon out there for fancy insurance terms. It is almost like it should be a required second language in high school. Today I want to focus on an important acronym that has some people confused. UM UIM stands for "Uninsured and Under Insured Motorist" and is a coverage that some people view as an "optional coverage". Optional...what?!? Let me tell you the type of person that doesn't need this coverage...NOBODY. I guess it would be beneficial to describe what this coverage is and why it is such a no brainer to throw on your policy. UM UIM is a coverage that protects YOU (the owner of the policy) if you were to get into an accident with someone that didn't have insurance or didn't have sufficient limits. The limits are chosen, similar, to the liability limits, and are for your own protection. Now, why some people put 100/300/100 on liability but only 25/50/25 on their UM UIM is beyond me. When you do this you say... I am not as concerned with my family and I as I am with some random person I might get in an accident with. This doesn't make sense to me and it shouldn't to you. The best thing to do is to set good limits (ie. 100/300/100) for BOTH your liability exposure and your personal exposure with UM UIM. Now that I told you what this coverage is, here is the the why. The Insurance Research Council estimates that roughly one out of every six drivers may be driving uninsured by 2010. Now add in the fact that many people are dropping their insurance down to "legal minimums" (25/50/25) to save a little money and you realize that you are one of the very few people in this country that is properly covered. The fact is that this coverage is your way of protecting your family from a huge financial pitfall and since it only raises the premium around 7%, it is a no brainer. So do that right thing and protect you and your loved ones because if you don't..nobody will.

No comments:

Post a Comment