Thursday, April 2, 2009

Did you know you spell "pit bull?"........ L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y

So we have found that a very popular question recently deals with homeowners insurance options for people with "aggressive breeds". I got the question.."will my homeowners policy go up if I get a pit bull?" Unfortunately, the question that they should be asking is "Am I going to be able to get insurance?" The fact of the matter is that very very few insurance carriers will allow you to have an "aggressive breed" at all. Here is a why..Over 90% of ALL liability claims on homeowners are due to dog bites. 75% of the bites were done by pit bulls, rottweilers, chows, dobermans, and wolf breeds. So it isnt hard to recognize why an insurance company would be hesitant to insure a homeowner that is going to pay $80 a month and have a possible million dollar lawsuit arising from a dog attack. I am not suggesting that pit bulls are bad dogs and I have know some great examples of how proper training is a bigger factor than breed, but that is not going to convince any insurance companies to put themselves into a liability exposure like that. Anytime you have a liability magnet on your property (ie. pool, trampoline, dog) you are going to pay higher premiums and/or get a cancellation notice. If you are thinking about getting a dog I suggest that you look at how much "mans best friend" will cost you in the long run when you have limited options for insurance and possibly put yourself into a position where you have to come out of pocket 100% for a lawsuit. Understanding your options before you make dog purchase will help you make the best decision for you and your family. If you have any additional questions as to your options if you already have an "aggressive breed" you can give me a call and I can hopefully point you in the right direction. My number is 972-930-7086.

No comments:

Post a Comment